Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dog Fighting—Where Is the Love?

It’s seems just yesterday, Chuchie and Buchie get along well. They harmlessly wrestled, played hide and seek, chased one another, and when one is sleeping the other makes disturbance. Those were the happy moments, sadly, I didn’t capture on camera.
I long to see those moments. The leash keeps them apart and prevents dog fight which occurred several times in different situations. At first, I thought it’s’ juts a simple misunderstanding, but things became worst.

The Causes of Violence
  1. Often their harmless playing leads to a serious fight. I’m not sure who started the aggression but the defense of the other surely aggravates the situation.
  2.  As they grow, they want to eat more. When they see us munching something they hurried to our direction and try to reach the food. Tossing the food, frequently starts the dog fight because they vie for the price.
  3. Because they are just almost 3 months old, they are active and interested in many things. If one is busy playing with paper, box, or slippers the other will try to snatch it. Like the food, none likes to share.
The aforementioned causes have made me more careful and alert. Because they are still young and want to explore, I let them loose sometimes; but more often than not a fight ensues. I didn’t have much experience in dealing with this commotion; as a result, it takes more time to break them apart. By the time the fight is over they already had bites or red marks without blood around their neck, and my sister at one incident had a scratch in her knee. I’m fortunately unscathed. At this time, the wildness of a dog resurfaces. By now, we learned to somehow manage and through the Internet I found ways to prevent without anyone getting hurt.

How to Stop/Prevent Dog Fight
  1. Dog leash is the best way to prevent them from having contact.
  2.  When it occurs, I used a chair to separate them and ask someone to grab one while I take the other. For some, hurling water will suffice but not for them; they are wet and so is the floor but neither budge in.
  3. When they are out of their cage or detached to the leash, maximum supervision is required. I stay alert for signs of an impending war. If they are staring at one another unusually, I immediately take the less aggravated dog.
  4. Socialization is important to stop/control aggression, according from an article on the net. For this I take them out a walk n the morning.
Will the sisterly love they used to have ends the duel. I can’t rely on that one yet. Right now, the leash is the cheapest and the safest way. They have to wear it all the time. As for me, I have to keep an eye. If you have other method, I’ll be delighted to know, especially if it will help my puppies do without violence.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home